Thursday, March 29, 2012

Bobcat Baseball & Las Vegas/Poker

Good morning everyone.  Maybe I should have titled this entry "Oops"...  I meant to have this posted for you yesterday, but I was surprisingly tired after operating on three hours worth of sleep, and who knew that my nap would turn into about NINE hours of sleep?...  Okay, so after I got home from work at about 4:00 a.m., I ate and watched a little bit of t.v...  I went to bed and woke up at about 8:30 a.m., then promptly cleaned up and went to the DMV, because the driver's license that I renewed last month has not arrived and the temporary expires today.  After returning from the DMV, I eat a little bit and have to make my decision.  The alma mater is hosting the Oregon Ducks in a noon baseball game, and with work precluding me from seeing the team this weekend, it would be my last opportunity to watch the Bobcats for a while.  I won't have too many more opportunities if I make the move back to Las Vegas this summer, and the last three times that I've watched the Bobcats, they have faced the Texas Longhorns and lost everytime (3-1, 2-0, 6-1).  I decide to make the short walk down past Bikini Hill to Bobcat Baseball Field to take in the game.  It is perfect weather for a baseball game and coincidentally mirrors my favorite playing conditions for baseball.  The weather is overcast but not raining, a playing condition that I experienced a lot in high school in New England.  The home team hit 2-run homers in the first and second innings (a ROCKET over the fence in left in the first, and a long fly ball that cleared the fence in right center in the second) on their way to a 7-6 victory - YES!  I walk home after the game, eat, lay down for a "quick nap" once it starts raining hard outside (although it was overcast, this hard rain was not in the forecast)....  What do you know - after hitting the pillow at 5:00 p.m., it's 2:00 A.M. when I wake up...  (YAWN..., stretch, and here I am).

I have decided that I will now dedicate Wednesdays here on 'Bikini Hill' to stories about Las Vegas and poker stories.  For those of you who may be new to the blog, that solidifies the content of the three days that I post.  I post 'rambles' here on Mondays, which are long paragraphs about whatever I feel like posting at the time.  You know what Wednesdays will be comprised of, and Fridays are about sports and predictions regarding sporting events.

My goal is to return to the desert during the summer.  I previously lived in Las Vegas for 2 years from 2005-2007, and a combination of things resulted in that happening.  My brother and his family were living in Las Vegas at the time, my mother and I were both living here in San Marcos, America, and I decided that it would be nice if she could be closer to my brother and his family, who have moved around quite a bit due to serving in the military.  The economy was really good at the time (which makes me nervous about moving back right now), and we were experiencing the 'poker boom'...  I went to dealer school for a month after arriving in Las Vegas, and ended up getting my first job (as a chip runner) and the World Series of Poker at the Rio.  After that I was able to land a dealing job on the Strip.  You know how life goes though...  My brother and his family end up getting assignments to ship out of Vegas, my mother moves back to the central U.S., and after a few years I decide that I'm sick of the desert (and a little homesick).  This coincidentally had nothing to do with the economy, and it just ended up being fortunate for me that I returned to Texas before things got tough (I always tell people that tourists go to Vegas with their extra income, so if the economy is bad, they're not visiting).  Anyway, last year we had a 'Vegas-like' year here in Texas, with little to no rain, and it's harder to find poker games here than it is in the desert.  The same goes for making sports bets at the drop of a hat, so I am planning my return to the valley.  If you haven't followed the blog regularly, I do like sports just a LITTLE BIT...  I apologize for the LONG nap, and when I return on Friday I will have my predictions for the 'Final Four'.  Have a good one!
        

2 comments:

  1. Good luck getting back to Vegas!

    My only visual advice is I suggest breaking down your blocks of words into more paragraphs with breaks so that it doesn't look like one big block of intimidating words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On Mondays (my 'rambles') that's my 'gimmick' grrouchie - One 'paragraph' about EVERYTHING... :) Thanks for the well-wishes also - I'm working on getting back there daily... ;)

    ReplyDelete