Friday, October 5, 2012

Cowboys And Texans Fans: SHUT UP!!!

Good morning everyone.  I'm sure that the title of today's blog won't rile up any readers or cost me any friends on facebook...  :)  Actually, I don't mind if Dallas and Houston fans support their teams, but if they could avoid the areas specified below, it would really be appreciated...

Cowboys Fans:  Everytime that the Cowboys lose, and that your car won't start, and that you have to wait in line at the grocery store, and that your dog runs away, and that your electric bill just seems too high, it's NOT Tony Romo's fault, not EVERY SINGLE TIME!  I did not see most of the Cowboys Monday Night loss to the Bears, but I did see my facebook account BLOW UP with Romo comments after the game, so the next day I decided to ask an open question to my facebook friends about the game.  I wanted to know from Cowboys fans what Romo did to cost Dallas the game, if other players were involved, if they wanted to go with Kyle Orton as the starter instead, etc, etc...  Three people responded to my question, and none of those were friends who were ready to hang Romo on Monday night.  I had seen Dez Bryant drop a pass that was right in his hands Monday night, and I was told that wasn't his only drop.  The infamous blogger grrouchie also commented that Bryant made a bad read on a 'hot route' that cost the Cowboys an interception and a touchdown return by the Bears.  Grrouchie also mentioned that a Bryant penalty cost Dallas big I believe.  I just went and looked up some game stats, and the Cowboys running game, behind the VAUNTED Dallas offensive line (which I've obviously mentioned here before), had a total of 41 rushing yards for the game (probably Romo's fault).  I also found out that Jay Cutler went 18 of 24 for 275 yards, 2 touchdowns, and a 140.1 quarterback rating (Romo can't cover a soul)...  The Bears also had 93 rushing yards, which although not spectacular (in my book), was more than twice the Cowboys total (Romo isn't good against the run either).  I'm just saying that the Cowboys don't have a ton of players that have been to the Pro Bowl on their current roster, but Romo is one of them.  I think that people may be blaming Romo simply because they know who he is (how many Cowboys offensive linemen can you name?), but there are not many teams currently whose quarterback has been their starter for as long as Romo has been with the Cowboys (fun exercise to come up with the others).  And let me remind Dallas fans that if you want Orton to be your starter, he is the guy who led the Broncos to a 1-4 start last season, the same team that Tim Tebow led to a 7-4 record after replacing Orton...  The worst part of all of this might be that Dallas is still 2-2 and right in the thick of the NFC East race.  Reading my facebook account on Monday night, someone might have thought that the Mayans were three months off on their doomsday prediction...  Watch the whole team, and/or give Romo some credit when Dallas wins also, please...

Texans Fans:  Your football team has won ONE playoff game in the last... EVER!  You MIGHT want to tone down the trash-talking until you've at least REACHED an AFC Championship Game...  For those Texans fans who like to give the business to Cowboys fans... STOP!  If the NFL moved Houston to the NFC East and Dallas to the AFC South, guess what...  the Cowboys could win the AFC South also!  Your division is INCREDIBLY WEAK!  ALL THREE of the opponents in your division (Indianapolis, Tennessee, and Jacksonville) started a rookie at quarterback on opening day this year...  PLEASE try to convince me that Dallas wouldn't CRUSH that division also.  By the way, I can't imagine the Texans skating through a division where they had to play the Giants, Eagles, and Redskins twice.  (By the way, if the Cowboys and Texans ever meet in a Super Bowl, lock yourself in your house for a couple of weeks)... Sadly, the media and power-ratings people are jumping on the Texans 4-0 start against (wait for it...) the Dolphins, Jaguars, Broncos, and Titans this season.  Houston won 3 of these 4 games by 20-something points (mentioned in the power-ratings write-up), and evidently the Texans have the top-ranked defense in the NFL (overheard at work).  Although the Texans have a very weak schedule this season and SHOULD EARN a first-round playoff bye in my opinion, come talk to me if Houston wins 3 of their next 4 games by 20 or more points after they meet up with the Jets, Packers, Ravens, and Bills.  Support your team, but stop acting like Houston has won the last fifteen Super Bowls, please...

Now for the part you want to read, where you get to mock my 3-6-1 record last weekend, which brings my overall season total to 17-25-2.  Having gone 3-6-1 and 4-6 in the last 2 weeks, I have decided that if I don't go at least 7-3 this weekend, I will include a recipe with my selections next weekend (because I should be making SOME good use of this space, right?)...  Here are my picks for this weekend:

Texas A&M/Mississippi (Over 65) - I remember Texas vs. Mississippi...
Auburn (- 8) vs. Arkansas - I remember SEVERAL Arkansas scores this season...
Texas State/New Mexico (Over 49 1/2) - Bobcat games seem to attract points so far...
Louisiana-Monroe (- 3) @ Middle Tennessee State - Misprint?  Checked it twice...
West Virginia/Texas (Over 74) - I remember WVU/Baylor (SHUT UP...)
UCLA (- 2 1/2) @ California - UCLA has been decent so far...
        
Green Bay (- 7) @ Indianapolis - Rodgers vs. the Colts?  Better cover a T.D...
Ravens/Chiefs (Under 46) - Seems like a lot for a Ravens game...
Bears (- 5) @ Jacksonville - Maybe a trap game, but have to do it...
Chargers/Saints (Over 54) - Expecting fireworks in this one...

There you go.  I hope that you enjoyed that and that you find some winners there (like about ten)...  Have a great football weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Lifelong Cowboys fan here. I don't blame Romo for the loss on Monday night alone. Dallas' problems are institutional starting with Jerry Jones. Until Jerry turns over player personnel decisions to somebody with more football sense than money they will continue to be also-rans. That said, do I think Tony Romo is an elite quarterback? No. Do I think Dallas can win a super bowl with him under center? No.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Romo will win a Super Bowl, with another team, and Cowboy fans will bitch and moan about "Why couldn't Romo play like that when he was here."
    Romo is a good QB, he's probably in the class under the elites. The guy can play and is fun to watch. He does not have the talent around him currently to win. Romo cannot play Linebacker or a DB well as ~Coach mentioned above. He will get better ;-p

    Jacksonville did NOT start a rookie QB this season.
    Tennessee did NOT start a rookie QB this season.

    I haven't gotten to do anything with my picks lately because I've been too busy. I'm hoping to do some research and get to them later today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Bears fan can tell you that the Cowboys played just an overall bad game. Bryant? He was the most pathetic. Marshall scored on a blown coverage where the closest defender was in Oklahoma. Romo wasn't as bad as his stats indicated. Of course, his saving grace is that he played his college ball in the right state -- Illinois!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gabbert/Locker both 2nd year - my bad... Their wealth of experience still doesn't change my rant, but thanks for the catch... And it's a TWO-DOLLAR parlay cards at the minimum - I have to live vicariously through you, c'mon...

    ReplyDelete