Thursday, February 7, 2013

I Remember The First Time (3)

"Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end..."  -Semisonic- (Closing Time)


I remember the first time I should have quoted song lyrics yesterday...  Above would have been the ideal lyrics for yesterday's blog entry, eh?...  Well, I didn't hear this song again until I worked last night (YES..., at closing time)...

I remember the first time that I was proud of the kids on 'Beverly Hills 90210' and 'One Tree Hill'...  I was watching some of these "classics?" again this morning, and I think that it's awesome that they all went on to get good jobs..., you know..., since they were always studying so much during every episode...

I remember the first time that the birds weren't scared...  Okay, so we have a grocery store here in San Marcos, America that rhymes with H.E.B. (and I'm referencing the "big H.E.B." and not the "small H.E.B." for those of you who are familiar with this college town).  Recently I became aware that I was hearing... animal sounds?? when I approached the store at 4 a.m. (a normal time for me to be shopping after leaving work).  Looking up at the face of the store, I spotted speakers that are scattered across the length of the storefront, and I assumed that the suspected animal sounds?? that I thought I was hearing were coming from said speakers.  At this point let me interject that there are big blackbirds SLEEPING...  ALL OVER THE PLACE... (in trees, on top of the H.E.B., on top of security cameras mounted NEAR THE SPEAKERS)...  During my most recent visit, I decided to ask the cashier...

Me:  "Hey, are y'all playing animal sounds from the speakers out front because of the birds?..."
Cashier:  (I was so proud of the cashier for giving me the most nonchalant expression with her nonchalant answer)  "Yeah, but they aren't scared..."

I should also add that this isn't really the first time that the birds weren't scared.  A few weeks ago, when I noticed all of the birds returning to the H.E.B. parking lot here, I pulled up into a space RIGHT UNDER A TREE where a bunch of them were sleeping, and NOT ONE BIRD left the tree as I pulled up, parked, exited my vehicle (which obviously involved closing my door) - pretty impressive...


I remember the first time thinking that you're going to be telling people you know that I'm writing about the BIRDS AT H.E.B. in my blog...  :P

I remember the first time the bank teller tried to be cute.  Okay, actually the bank teller IS cute, and there were two of them, but that's beside the point.  A few days ago I brought my saved up change to the bank in the same manner that I have several times.  When I was making my bank deposit, I told the teller that the bills were being deposited, and that I had some change that I wanted to cash in (as I was unscrewing the black lid from my silver Pittsburgh Steelers travel coffee cup).  Both tellers had a look of AMAZEMENT as I removed the lid, and then the one who was waiting on me (the other was behind her, observing???) EXCLAIMED:

Teller:  "I was WONDERING what you were doing!"
Me:  (Confused and amused and now smiling)  "What, like you thought I was going to remove the top and SNAKES were going to POP OUT?!
Teller:  (Now smiling)  "Or that you were going to..., give me some of your coffee??"  :)


I remember the first time that I drank coffee...  First, I am not a coffee drinker.  Well, I will drink "iced coffee" - anyway, that's a whole other conversation for a different day, maybe...  When I was a senior in high school (and I might add, I had a pretty "cake schedule" during my senior year of high school), I waited until the NIGHT BEFORE a paper WITH A PRESENTATION was due for my English class before doing the actual paper.  So I tried coffee for the first time.  I drank about HALF of the cup of coffee and almost threw up (and I wonder why I'm not a big fan of hot coffee)...

I remember the first time that I fell asleep on Bikini Hill...  Now this happened about 100 years ago, and on this trip to Sewell Park I wasn't with anyone.  It's unfortunate that I was alone because someone could have been a punk and thrown some water from the river on me and woke me up, but that didn't happen...  So, I guess that I was really tired, because I fell asleep for what MUST HAVE BEEN at least an hour...  It also must have been my one of my first visits of the spring to Bikini Hill, and/or I must not have used much sunscreen (I'm foggy on this point, being that this happened 100 years ago).  So when I woke up, I realized that I had been sleeping with my right hand on my stomach.  My fingers had been spread out like I was going to palm a basketball, and SURE ENOUGH, when I moved my hand, I had this BIG WHITE HANDPRINT tattooed on my RED torso...  OUTSTANDING...  It only lasted for like TWO WEEKS though...  :)

I remember the first time that I did an I remember the first time entry and DID NOT ONCE pick on the students who come by and see me at work...  ;)  I hope that you have a great day and I'll see you again tomorrow!


          

    



1 comment:

  1. We have a major black bird problem downtown near the building where I work. I cross the street and go out of my way on my walk to my building to avoid the bird poop soaked sidewalks.

    They sometimes fire off this thing that sounds like the really loud screeching of a hawk. It scares them off for a little while, but they always eventually come back. I would love to just take a pellet gun and have a little target practice at those big black flying rats.

    ReplyDelete