Tuesday, October 8, 2013

A Killer From A Savior

"If I fall along the way, pick me up and dust me off, and if I get too tired to make it, be my breath so I can walk, if I need some other love, then give me more than I can stand, and when my smile gets old and faded, wait around I'll smile again..." -Matchbox Twenty- (Bent)

"She says that love is for fools that fall behind, and I'm somewhere between, I never really know..., a killer from a savior, 'til I break at the bend, we're here and now, will we ever be again?, 'cause I have found all that shimmers in this world is sure to fade..., away..., again..."  -Fuel- (Shimmer)



Good evening everyone, and an especially good evening to those of you who are here to read about my football misery (just a little Miletus)...  In case you're not aware of who Miletus is, she was one of the original readers of this blog, back when it was just her, my brother Pete, and very few others following along.  So, it's fitting that, well, that both of them get a mention here in the week that this little enterprise is going to surpass 50,000 total views.  Let's post the leaders in my fantasy football league for starters:

Eastern Division

Con Juevos                     4-1
Bikini Hill Bobcats           3-2
Dead Crickets                 3-2
Team DonkeyDave          3-2


Western Division

Good Dotto                     5-0
Hernandez's Hitmen        3-2
Out On Bail                    3-2


Well, the good news is that no matter what I would have done with the players on my roster last week, I still would have lost to Con Juevos, who beat me by almost thirty points.  The bad news is that no matter what I would have done with my roster last week, I still wouldn't be in first place in my division right now with a 4-1 record because I just didn't have the talent to win over the weekend...  I remember the first time that I told you last week that my team will still face Good Dotto twice over the next eight weeks, right?  :)  Stay tuned...

I only managed to go 4-3 on my NFL picks over the weekend, which coupled with my 1-2 record on college predictions (with the ONE happening only because of the FLUKE COVER by the Buckeyes on the last play of the game against Northwestern on Saturday night), brought my mark for the week to 5-5.  I also missed BADLY on the Texas State outcome at Louisiana-Lafayette, so it wasn't my best weekend of football so far this season.  At least I did tell you that I could see the Rams beating the Jaguars by a touchdown each half on Sunday, which is exactly what happened...

Well, what do we talk about now?  I'd be lying if I didn't tell you that I'm gearing up for my birthday weekend.  In the next few days I will be working on a list of things that I need to do in San Marcos on Saturday (fun things, buying myself things, hanging out with my friends things...), and with the UT/OU game starting at 11:00 a.m., I will be arriving in town early and staying late...  Nike Outlet Store, Bobcat Nation Sports Bar & Grill (to use one of my well-earned $25.00 football pick 'em tabs - and yeah, I didn't win in either of the last 2 weeks, SHUT UP...), pregame tailgating at Bobcat Stadium, Bobcats vs. Louisiana-Monroe, and The Square would PROBABLY be some of the things that you would find on that list...  ;)

I'm glancing at the Red Sox/Rays playoff game (2-1 Sox, top of 8) intermittently as I finish off this post, trying to recall if I have anything else to tell you (after this weekend I should have material sufficient to get us through to Christmas)...  I did take a typing test on campus today and learned that I type 54 words per minute (5 minutes/2 errors), and this was after completing a practice test where I typed 53 words per minute (3 minutes/no errors), so that number should be pretty accurate.  I had no idea going into the test where there number would fall, but I guess that's a hidden benefit of doing this blog for just over two years now...  I also saw the aftermath of a campus bus hitting a car in front of my apartment complex on my way in this morning, so there's that - two police cruisers, a Metro van, no injuries as far as I could tell...

I think that's all that I've got for you tonight.  I'm going to watch the rest of this baseball game and start soliciting some experts for this week's football post.  Have a great day and I'll see you again on Friday!
          
       











  












1 comment:

  1. Hi Coach,

    I'm not sure how much detail you want on your picks, so feel free to edit this.

    Zero U has shellacked Texas the last two years by a combined score of 118-38. In the first half alone the Longhorns were outscored 70-12. Too many turnovers by Texas has spelled doom. The question is whether the Longhorns have improved over last year? Have the Sooners?

    The answer is no and yes.

    The Longhorns are currently a 14 point dog in this one. Don't be fooled, lay the points. Unfortunately "Boomer Sooner" will be played a lot more than "The Eyes of Texas" and this senior class will be 0-3 versus OU.

    Oklahoma 48-14.

    I sure hope I'm wrong.

    ReplyDelete