Saturday, March 21, 2015

South By Southswim

"If someone's not getting their face beat in, I don't stay interested long..." -Leanne Calderon-


Good afternoon everyone.  I decided that I had to take a few minutes and make sure that I caught y'all up on things today.  I've been so busy with my new job that I've been neglecting all of my blogs, but I'm going to post at all of them today.  I already have my basketball picks for the day up at 'Coach's Parlay Card' , and I'll later be posting at 'Coach Goes Viral' and 'Three Chips Poker'  As you could guess, I've already got the t.v. tuned into the NCAA Tournament, watching the media darlings in the Kentucky uniforms that are struggling with a #8 seeded Cincinnati team, IN KENTUCKY...  Yeah..., they're gonna CRUISE to a 40-0 record - WHAT EVER...  Anyway, that's for another blog, and some people CLAIM to have never even heard of 'March Madness...'  My friend Leanne posted that as a status last night, which made me laugh and recount the tale of how when I used to coach softball in San Marcos, the umpires at our annual spring break tournament (Leanne played for us) would have the t.v. tuned into the tourney up in the hospitality room at our softball complex...  :)  That's where Leanne's quote from the very top of this page came from, as she's not so much of a basketball fan, but more of a fighter...


I still think that we could bring Calderon in to intentionally foul people, but I guess that we'll just let her keep training...  :)  I joked with Leanne about airbrushing muscles onto legs, and she said that would take more effort than the actual working out...  :D  I'm extremely proud of Leanne's dedication, and I have to get myself back into shape someday (a shape other than round)...

Speaking of friends and former student-athletes, and one who did play basketball for me, it's South By Southwest time here in Austin again, except that there is A LOT of rain in the forecast...  We're actually under a flood watch until 7:00 a.m. tomorrow morning, and I'm wondering how much money that's going to cost the good people of our fair city.  Well, the city is exactly fair...  My aforementioned friend Jessica was in town to make some money this week...



Jessica does a little bit of modeling, and what initially got my attention from her facebook page this week was a hashtag to one of her statuses, where some genius evidently thought that her time wasn't worth any compensation...  The hastag was #worthmorethannothing (which I really liked), and I chatted about this with Jess a little earlier today.  I told her that I had planned on likening the situation here to one where a bar letting a drunk girl get up and dance on the bar was some sort of privilege, like letting Jessica work as a model at their event was doing her some sort of favor.  Then Jessica told me that this genius actually told her that the models were not doing an actual job.  Jessica replied, "It is a job.  It's my job.  If it wasn't a job, why can't any of you do it?  Why do you even need us?  Oh..., because you need someone else's skills to accomplish a task for your own personal agenda.  That's called a job, buddy..."  Yeah, I like Jessica...  :D  Again, #worthmorethannothing..., a very appropriate hashtag.

Like I said, a lot of rain forecast here, so I'm not sure how the rest of South By Southwest is going to play out, but I plan on watching a lot of basketball.  Joey and I will be back with our predictions for the 'Sweet 16' over at 'Coach's Parlay Card' sometime before the games tip next Thursday, and we'll give you our picks for the rest of the tournament from there on out.  Speaking of basketball, not everyone agrees with me about Kentucky, as Joey posted his "bracket" on facebook earlier this week...


Considering that the Wildcats are letting Cincinnati hang around, I still think their prospects for sweeping the rest of the tournament are pretty bleak, but we shall see...

I never did make that crawfish boil last Sunday, which was a mistake considering how this weekend is getting poured on, but I still have these 14+ basketball games ahead of me.  I hope that all of you enjoy the rest of your weekend and the start of spring as this tournament kicks into full gear, and I'll see ya soon...

2 comments:

  1. Cute title.

    KY got by Cincy. The announcers made a good point. KY can play less that its A game and still win (they shot 37%).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks on the title. Cincinnati was an 8-seed, and Kentucky struggled with them in the state of Kentucky. Kentucky's schedule wasn't very strong, and I still believe that they're going to lose against real competition. The Wildcats haven't faced real adversity this season, and it's going to be difficult to play an A game against a quality opponent...

      Delete