Monday, October 31, 2011

The Most Annoying Thing About Facebook

Happy Halloween everyone - I hope that all of you have a safe and happy day today as we say our farewells to the month of October.  I think that people would hate Mondays a little less if every Monday was Halloween, but I haven't been able to get that legislation passed yet.  I had a pretty good weekend leading up to today, seeing my family for the first time in a few months, and enjoying a belated birthday dinner.  It was a pretty eventful weekend around Bikini Hill, as it was Homecoming Weekend in San Marcos, America.  A lot of Bobcats and Bobcat Alumni were wandering around town, many in costume, as tonight will be capping off at least a good half week of Halloween celebration for the local ghosts and goblins.  My straight-days streak at work had been run up to 17, but was broken yesterday as I watched my Steelers beat the Patriots before dining with my family, with what I would call naps sandwiching those festivities.  I just finished a post-nap trip to the grocery store, and was wondering if anyone else buys any of the restaurant-brand items when they're shopping.  I was picking up some salsa, and I bought some of the "On The Border" mild salsa.  Doesn't it feel like, even just a little, that you're 'out to eat' when you have the restaurant brand stuff?...  I also managed to slip out once again with the family-size shampoo and conditioner, even though I live alone (you just have to play it cool at the register, so that the cashier won't suspect that anything is up)...   

Okay, if you're still with me after reading that line, let's get into the meat of this blog entry.  First of all, I want to welcome all of the new readers who have been viewing the blog.  The 'View' was seen about 90 times for the last 3 posts, after receiving about 200 clicks for the first 15 entries, so we're definitely picking up speed here, and I appreciate it.  I've got the faithful Law & Order churning beside me, and a lot of things bouncing around in my head after a very busy weekend.  In case you're unaware, until I moved back to San Marcos, America in early August and began working at my two new jobs, which usually have me arriving home at about 4:00 in the morning, I had never watched any episodes of ANY of the Law & Order shows before.  As luck would have it, they are the best thing that is on t.v. in the early morning, running marathon style, hour after hour on a few different networks, depending on the day of the week.  For me, that means that every episode is new as I'm watching the orignal series, and special victims unit, and criminal intent, and all of the seasons of these shows, etc, etc...  A few days ago on facebook, I quoted this from an episode:  (Suspect)  "I didn't kill her!"  (Stars of the show)  "Yeah, we hear that a lot..."  You've gotta love it...  ;) 

Facebook.  First let me say that I love facebook, a website that has allowed me to catch up with many people that I haven't seen for years.  I also like how you can click on a person's page and get caught up instantly with what is going on in their life.  It seems that I am not alone, and that when I am working or am just out in public, I see more people accessing their facebook accounts than any other website on their phones hands down.  Easily the most annoying thing about facebook is one of the things that I like most about it.  I enjoy seeing all of the things that my friends are doing on any given day (I have about 500 friends on my account, to give you a reference point).  In just the past few days, I've had friends who were at the World Series, at various college football games, at homecoming, going out for Halloween, doing fun things with their families, visiting other states, etc, etc..  Of course, everyone is posting photos of everything that they're doing, and my problem is that I like doing EVERYTHING!  Does anyone else feel like a slacker, or like they're missing out, because they're not doing the HUNDREDS of different things on any given day that all of their friends are?  :)  I once annoyed my Dad at the racetrack because I was wanting to be on ALL of the races, from every track...  I would just LOVE to be doing all of this stuff that everyone is doing.  Just something else that amuses me...      

Now, on to sports...  A FULL sports weekend just took place, that's for sure.  I am in good position to be 7-1 and 5-3 in my fantasy football leagues if I can avoid Ryan Mathews going out of his mind tonight for the San Diego Chargers in Kansas City (the 5-3 is already in the books actually).  One of the better World Series, and one of the most heartbreaking for a lot of my friends, just ended recently as the St. Louis Cardinals beat the Texas Rangers in seven games.  It seems that the Cardinals sparked the whole state of Missouri, as the football Tigers went to College Station and upset the Texas A&M Aggies the next day (Coach Pinkel mentioned the Cardinals in his on-field, postgame interview), and then yesterday, the previously winless St. Louis Rams SMACKED the New Orleans Saints to pick up their first win of the season.  Previously unbeaten #5 Clemson lost to Georgia Tech on Saturday, previously unbeaten #8 Kansas State lost to #9 Oklahoma (I'm so sorry Kathryn), # 20 Texas Tech got demolished at home by Iowa State the week after beating Oklahoma in Norman, and #6 Stanford stayed undefeated only after surviving THREE overtimes against # 20 USC.  My Pittsburgh Steelers beat a Patriots team that has been a thorn in our side in recent years, setting up a great Sunday night matchup with the Ravens next week.  I think that most of America would be happy if the Steelers and Ravens just played each other 16 times every year, ensuring one intriguing matchup each week, and the fact that their favorite team would never have to play either squad...  The Eagles woke up from their bye-week and shut down Dallas, making it likely that the NFC East is going to be an absolute free-for-all in the second half of the season.  So many storylines, you just have to love this time of year!

Okay, that is going to be all for now.  I hope that everyone has a great Halloween, and I'll see all of you again next month (that would be tomorrow)...  Again, please feel free to leave comments, topic suggestions, etc... if you have any.  One of my friends from out of town who was in for homecoming mentioned the blog, and I didn't even know that he was following it.  Also, for those readers who I have picked up from Yahoo Answers, if you have any sports questions or fantasy football questions that you want to ask here directly, you're more than welcome to...
 



 



No comments:

Post a Comment