Friday, January 24, 2014

I'm Not Going Anywhere...

"I'm not even tryyyyying to wake my son up to see this snow... he's gonna drag me out there with him, I know..." -@b_jai2012- (via Twitter)

"Rain, sleet, snow, hail, tornado, tsunami...doesn't matter!  The damn mall never takes a day off!  Ugh!" -Marissa Garcia-



Good afternoon everyone, and yes, I'm not going ANYWHERE...  Winter has found the Lone Star State once again, and work (the University of Texas at Austin) is closed today.  The title of today's post came from a conversation that I had earlier with my friend Rachael via facebook.



Rachael (pictured far left) earned her Master's Degree back in December, and I believe that all of the different colors on the graduation cords that she's wearing mean that Rachael is REALLY SMART...  ;)  I'm posting this photo as a reminder that I have neglected to recognize all of the December graduates that I know here.  I'm not even sure if doing a "facebook all-call" will be enough to round all of them up at this point.  Also, I meant to mention in an earlier post that Rachael was a weekly winner in the Bobcat Nation Sports Bar & Grill football pick 'em contest that I mentioned often here during the fall.  I found out that Rachael purposely tried to pick an upset or two every week, which explains why she selected the Vikings (to beat the Eagles I believe) during the week that she won the contest...  :)  Congratulations again Rachael (on both accomplishments)!  ;)

Speaking of this weather (okay, that was a pretty roundabout segue for me), my friend Kristen posted this on facebook with the caption, "The obligatory Texas snow pictures."  I only downloaded one people, so sue me...  ;)



Speaking of snow (kind of), my friend Brandie posted this shot with the caption, "Our version of the U.S. Bobsled Team..."



Speaking of the Olympics (partial credit), the winter version will be starting in the next couple of weeks.  It seems strange that you haven't read more about that here in a blog that claims to touch on the happenings in the sports world, so there ya go..., a photograph of this year's U.S. Bobsled Team...  #gousa  ;)

Since we're talking about sports, I have no idea what I'm going to do for this year's Super Bowl (and since the Super Bowl is a week away and I'm not going to give any credence to the Pro Bowl, this will be our football talk for today)...  Last year I made my way to my (then) workplace Harper's for the Super Bowl, and ended up having a great time watching the game.  Unplanned, I ended up sitting with my friends Alyssa, Chelsea, Castelluccio, Lindsey, and Sam.  You already know Alyssa (our favorite Texans fan).  Looking back at my Super Bowl blog post from last year, I'm just remembering that this was the day that I officially met Castelluccio for the first time, and of course I'll never forget Chelsea exclaiming, "I'm so happy right now!" when Destiny's Child took over the show...  :)  This excitement was only rivaled by Lindsey's pure bliss with Beyonce's Victoria's Secret commercial.  I have no idea how Sam and I would have made it through the Super Bowl's power outage (do you remember that?) without these young ladies, and then, there was a football game...  :)  And so now I'm back to this year, with one week to figure out what I'm going to do next Sunday (having to get up for work at 6:30 the following morning, which WAS NOT the case last year)...

Speaking of the Veranda (kind of - you can find it at the very top of Harper's), this is a photo that my friend Floyd posted earlier in the week...



That's a great shot of the rooftop bar that overlooks much of the beautiful city of San Marcos, America (which reminds me, you're not getting an obligatory photo of Las Vegas today).  For any of you keeping score at home, the countdown is now at 188 days...


Speaking of the Amish (okay, I definitely wasn't), this is a conversation that a friend of mine had recently with someone that he routinely sees at the bus stop...

Guy at bus stop:  "My friend is from Pennsylvania."
My friend:  "Is he Amish?"
Guy at bus stop:  "Do you have cows?..."

I cannot tell you how many times I've laughed about this conversation during the past week at work, and how many times in conversations that we've randomly brought back up, "Do you have cows?" and "Are you Amish?" (yeah, we've altered that part just a bit)...  My friend had some questions that he was going to ask the bus stop guy about the Amish, had his friend been Amish. The bus stop guy obviously took offense to the Amish question, and asked my friend if he had cows, because he lives in Texas (trying to make some point, because evidently, you cannot ask about the Amish).  Note to self:  Do not talk about Fight Club, and do not ask about the Amish...  ;)


Speaking of cats (cows, whatever...), this is the "cat condo" that my friend Jasmine erected, six hours after construction was completed...



I desperately hope that Jasmine's cats are eventually able to make the adjustment...  ;)

I did this entry really early for me on a Friday (remember, no work), so I'll be back tomorrow with an entry that will include Joey's basketball picks.  In reality, because those college games will take place tomorrow, I'll probably be back to see you very late tonight...  Have a great day, and drive safely if your weather resembles what we experienced in the Lone Star State this morning...











    






No comments:

Post a Comment