Saturday, May 17, 2014

Fried Chicken

"The real power of a man is in the size of the smile of the woman sitting next to him..."
-quotespaper.com- (via Francesca Welsh)

Lyndi:  "Mommy, mommy, look, it's hairless, it's hairless!!!!"
Me:  "What?...  Oh, it's hilarious?"
Lyndi:  "Yeah, ha ha, it's hairless!!!"  -Kelley Senn Leeds-

"I want to grow my own food, but I can't find any bacon seeds..." -via Patti Thompson-

"Negative people need drama like oxygen.  Stay positive, it will take their breath away..."
-via Amy Aubin Ingerson-

"What if the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs was a UFO..., and we're the aliens???"
-via Ginger Maxwell-

"Hey Dad, I know the Tooth Fairy isn't real, and neither is Santa or the Easter Bunny, but I won't tell my brothers.  I'll let them find out eventually like me...  #6th #grader #problems"
-Marcus Bundage-

"You get what you work for, not what you wish for..."
-via Training Truths:  The Good, The Bad, The Ugly- (facebook page)



Good evening everyone.  Before I say anything about Las Vegas (what are the odds?), let me refer you back to that quote directly above.  I realize that sometimes I'll start writing and writing, and then I'll send you back to the quotes at the top of the page (and yeah, that probably won't stop). However, I am keeping you in mind, this time...  ;)  My friends Leanne and Francesca from Training Truths:  The Good, The Bad, The Ugly https://www.facebook.com/pages/Training-Truths-The-Good-The-Bad-The-Ugly/600392829996057  (a facebook page that I've mentioned SEVERAL TIMES here, and if you haven't 'liked' it already, then shame on you) are about as diligent as anyone I know in posting facebook statuses that I end up stealing...  :)  These ladies are also more diligent in sticking to their exercise regimen than anybody I know, and the status that I stole from them tonight happens to coincide perfectly with a few recent photos that they've posted.  Now I've known Leanne since she was a freshman in high school, and if we ever would have gotten into a fight back then (NO, I don't get into fights with girls that are in high school..., just HUMOR ME...), I probably could have taken her.  Okay, well that's not true, because there's NO WAY that I would have caught her...  :)  But if I could have taken Leanne in a fight back then, the caption of this photo would probably be 'NOT NOW...'

   

I'm glad that Leanne is on my side...  :)  And as for Francesca, I have no idea what she looked like in high school, but I could probably caption this shot with the title 'NOT HER EITHER...'



And again, I'm glad that Francesca is on my side...  :D  But yeah, "you get what you work for, not what you wish for..."  That's a very appropriate quote to get the ball rolling tonight, and congratulations once again to both of you on your hard work (and thanks for letting me steal from y'all REPEATEDLY)...  ;)

Before we get to the section that we should probably call 'Punks In Las Vegas,' let's talk about fried chicken.  While I love fried chicken as much as the next guy, I haven't had any for quite some time due to the diet that I've been following.  Now don't get me wrong, I look NOTHING like Leanne or Francesca, and if I showed up at the pool at Treasure Island (yes, that's a teaser), the tourists would probably be panicked about the WHALE that somehow got beached at the popular resort, but I have been avoiding fried foods.  However, my friend Brigette did share a photo earlier this week that I thought you'd enjoy...

  

Fried chicken is just SOOOO..., wait a second.., it's PUPPIES!!!  Pretty clever little photo that someone decided to post on facebook, eh?  I'll totally admit that I thought this was chicken when I first saw it earlier in the week...  :)  Okay, now let's talk about some punks in Las Vegas...

  

My friend Kristi posted this picture earlier in the week after arriving in the desert.  I think that I've mentioned once or twice here before that one of the best things about living in Las Vegas is that your friends will ALWAYS be coming to town...  :)  And that reminds me, we actually do have a photo from the pool at Treasure Island (and no whales were spotted or harmed in the taking of this photograph)...



That would be Nellie on the left, and Carly on the right.  Now I don't know Carly, but do me a favor and tell her that's she's famous Nellie (if two people seeing her makes her famous)...  One of the reasons that I'm sharing this snapshot is to inform you that despite having LIVED in Las Vegas, and having visited SEVERAL TIMES outside of living there, I've NEVER BEEN to one of the pools at its various hotels and resorts, NEVER...  A second reason that I'm posting this is to show you that the pool scene is obviously very lame in Vegas, as no one is around, the drinks are very small, are these ladies are CLEARLY on the verge of depression...  ;)



And no, I wasn't going to post a photo of Nellie and not include her sister and my friend Ali.  Again, very small drinks, and no one in Las Vegas is having any fun...  :D

So..., "what's going on?" you ask...  Well, the days til I move west just keep on passing.  The University of Texas at Austin is holding the last of its Spring Commencement Ceremonies tonight, and the first summer session will begin here in the next few weeks.  If everything plays out as expected, I'll be in the desert two and a half months from now.  August looks a lot closer when you view it from May 17th than when you peek ahead from the first week of January, that's for sure.  I'm trying not to get too bogged down in the fact that I'm going to miss the entirety of the World Series of Poker once again (May 27th through July 14th - YES, it begins in 10 days).  I'm also trying not to fixate on the fact that I'll miss seeing my friends Lucki Duck (who will be competing in a WSOP event) and Memphis Mojo (who will be competing in the Main Event of the Hollywood Poker Open in Vegas at the end of June).  And yes, you're correct, Hollywood, California is not in Las Vegas - just relax...  ;)  WOW..., right as I'm typing this, they're setting off fireworks over campus to celebrate this round of graduates.  I was actually wondering if someone was knocking on the window in front of me when I first heard the fireworks going off.  The person knocking would have to have been floating, since I live on the second floor, but anyway...  :)

As far as the sports world goes, I'm obviously extremely pleased that both my San Antonio Spurs and Montreal Canadiens have reached the conference finals in their respective sports (that would be basketball and hockey to you lay people)...  The Spurs have exceeded my expectations with their 62 wins in the regular season and their success in the playoffs to this point, and it's possible that they'll be the beneficiaries of an injury to Serge Ibaka of Oklahoma City.  Tony Parker is dinged up for San Antonio, but it might be very difficult for the Thunder to win the series without Ibaka.

As for Montreal, they had a great seven-game series with the Bruins.  In my opinion, it was much greater than the SEVEN GOALS that they allowed the Rangers to score today.  It should not come as any surprise to you that I took the Canadiens (-1 1/2 goals) today, and that I took Anaheim (-1 1/2 goals) last night.  Yeah, the Ducks lost 6-2 to the Kings...  I'm ALL OVER this sports betting stuff...  ;)  Wouldn't it be amazing if the Spurs and Canadiens both became champions in the next month?  Then I'd have the Red Sox, the Steelers (wait, where were you Pittsburgh?), the Spurs, and the Canadiens in one sports year.  

Well, I'm either going to head down to 6th Street to help the graduates celebrate, or I'm going to make more headway toward my impending move.  Either way, I win...  ;)  Have a great weekend and I'll see you again on Tuesday!
    














4 comments:

  1. Still no Blackhawks love. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really disappointed that Ibaka is out. I really thought Thunder had the best chance of knocking out off the Heat. Damn. Now the only chance is the Spurs, who I think will get past OKC (relatively) easily without Ibaka. I'm worried that I can't count on the Spurs to beat the Heat. Indy has no chance to to beat Miami, they are too bi-polar. They will beat Miami once and look like the greatest team in the history of the NBA, and the rest of the time will look like my JV High School team TODAY could beat them.

    As for the NHL, as you probably know, I am the world's foremost authority on hockey and surely you have to see that the Kings are a team of destiny this year. Forget the frickin' Canadiens....what the hell do Canadiens know about hockey anyway? Southern California is clearly the center of the hockey universe these days. Especially since we don't have a basketball team left in the race.

    And Lightning....forget about the Blackhawks, the Kings are a lock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pacers play up/down to their competition, so hopefully... :) The Blazers series (especially on the heels of the Dallas series) surprised me, so we'll see what's next... I'm glad that you only get credit for one loss when you get drummed like the Canadiens did today. If Quick shows up, that will be an awesome series out west... And who are these Blackhawks??? Oh, and congratulations on even your comments being longer than my blog posts Rob... ;)

      Delete