Monday, May 6, 2013

Goodbye Minnesota

"I had no idea being a mom would include saying several times a day:  "No, he's unarmed!  Wait!  Let your brother get a weapon!"..." -Amy Shutt Bettis- (via facebook)

"Life is too short to worry about stupid things.  Have fun.  Fall in love.  Regret nothing, and don't let people bring you down..." -@Willl_Smith- (via twitter)

"My coworker's name is "Jen Robinson" and she hates it when I run at her flailing my arms yelling DANGER JEN ROBINSON DANGER!  #LostInSpace" -@KrissiBex- (via twitter)




Good afternoon everyone.  As I begin my weekend, it's going to be a very busy week here in San Marcos, America.  Final exams are going to winding down on the Texas State campus over the next few days, and graduation ceremonies for the spring semester are going to be starting on Thursday.  Due to my job, I know an exceptionally large number of Bobcats who are going to be receiving diplomas this weekend.  The reminiscing has already begun, and tears have already fallen as these ceremonies get closer and closer.  I cannot even begin to fathom the number of congratulatory handshakes and hugs that I will be giving out this weekend...

That paragraph brings us to somebody who has already finished school here in San Marcos, and who in fact has already gone home.  Well, somebody and somebody's friend...  I SWEAR that I already mentioned these two in the blog (which doesn't prohibit them from being mentioned again), but they just KEPT PESTERING ME, so here ya go...  :)  Last week Keri and Gabbie stopped by work again (just to see me, I'm sure)...  Keri came down to San Marcos from Minnesota for a year to finish school, and Gabbie is the good friend that she made along the way.  Where this story is likely to bring a smile to your face is the part where Keri brought her parents by to show them our establishment...  Keri's parents made the drive down from Minnesota to pick up Keri and her belongings, and were bringing them back with Keri... THE NEXT DAY (which I thought was pretty impressive).  Anyway, when Gabbie shows up with Keri's family, Keri says, "maybe NOW you'll put us in the blog..."  :)  And just so you know Keri, when I saw Gabbie on the Square last night, she looked lost..., and alone..., and..., well..., she's just waiting for you to come back to San Marcos, America...  ;)

In a related story, I saw this status posted on facebook today:  "Test results are in and I passed the BOC!  I am officially Colleen Toornburg ATC, LAT, LMT, BRAT, and PUNK!  Okay..., MAYBE I added those last two, but congratulations Colleen!  ;)

Let me give you a couple of work stories before I let you have the update on my fantasy baseball leagues...  AHEM...  On Saturday night at 8:45 p.m., the following occurred up at the Veranda...  Our bartender asked if it was always that dark on the other end of the bar - I snapped off, "at nighttime..." (remember, it's 8:45 p.m., and it's dark outside)...  As the bartender and my other coworker gave me a little half-hearted recognition, I started to hear it..., ACTUAL..., OUT... LOUD... LAUGHTER!!!  This TRUE APPRECIATION of my wit was coming from the couple seated near us.  My IMMEDIATE thought was, "that's my audience - they get me!!!"  I instantly told them about this blog...  ;)

Okay, let's go for another feel good story from work this weekend...  As a group approached me, one person in the bunch stated, "I don't want you to think we're alcoholics.  We're here our second night in a row..."  After I answered with, "that's not a record...," I received a RESOUNDING CHORUS of "WOO HOO!!!"  Pure jubilation and no more guilty consciences...  :)

THIS happened at the very end of work on Saturday night, and I think that it's hilarious now, although I found no humor in it at the time...  Almost all of our customers were gone, as it was after 2 a.m., but I still heard some voices from the stairs, and the voices weren't approaching me (they weren't LEAVING)...  When I went to investigate, I found a group of guys with one girl, and I informed them that it was time to go. They let me know that they were waiting for one more member of their group to come down from the roof.  I told them that we were closed, and that they had to leave.  At this point, the girl in the group tells me..., "slow... your... roll..................."  "NOW!!!!!!!" was my IMMEDIATE response to that suggestion, and people started MOVING...  ;)


Okay, my weekly fantasy baseball standings...  Let me state right here that I still seem to have that one pitcher each week (at least) who wants to go out and see how badly he can get SLAUGHTERED out there on the hill.  This week it was Roy Halladay, who gave up like 417 runs in 2 1/3 innings a few days ago...  Okay, your weekly update:


League 1 - (25 entry fee - 1st place 125, 2nd place 25)

1)   Neshanic                                                                 71.50  (still leading the way - good job)
2)   DraftDodgers                                                        68.50
3)   MONTANA MOUNTAIN GOATS 2R       57.00
       Pappys Boyz                                                          57.00
       Shazzam                                                                   57.00
10)  The View From Bikini Hill                             39.50 (Yes, 10th - DEAD LAST...)


League 2 - (50 entry fee/40 w/discount - 1st place 300, 2nd place 50)

1)  Breaking Bats                                                          76.00 (still clicking along - good job)
2)  4troublemakers                                                     73.50
3)  The Bikini Hill Bobcats                                       66.00 (TRUE MIRACLE...)


League 3 - (50 entry fee/40 w/discount - 1st place 300, 2nd place 50)

1)  Nappy Heads                                                          74.00 (way out in front - good job)
2)  Mad Men                                                                  58.50
      Pittsburg Crawfords                                            58.50
6)  The Bikini Hill Nine                                             53.50


Let me say here that I fired A LOT of baseball players over the weekend...  AHEM...  Let me also say here that having your weekend start on a Monday is horrible in that there are NO daytime sporting events.  Tonight features three NHL playoff games, a pair of NBA playoff games (Go Spurs!!!), and maybe some baseball games (like I care)...  :)  What was funny about that special post that I did yesterday to predict the second round of the NBA playoffs was that I got some good-looking NBA ads from ABC - Google tailors the ads you display to the content of your blog.  It's almost a surprise that my normal ads aren't for potluck dinners...  ;)

Okay, that's all that I have for you right now, but I will see you again either tomorrow or on Wednesday (depending on how doing some errands goes)...  Have a great day!
  




      









    

No comments:

Post a Comment