Sunday, December 30, 2012

The Black Rabbit

Good morning everyone.  This is an unanticipated entry for me, but I didn't work last night and I just woke up for no reason, so here you go...  For those of you who have been following my blog on a regular basis during the fall and early winter, you are undoubtedly aware of the disappointment that I faced this past summer upon returning to Las Vegas (can anyone say "stolen windpants?").  Anyway, what most of you are probably unaware of is the gut-wrenching summer that I endured the previous year which brought me back to San Marcos, America.  It is chronicled here in the blog, but you have to go WAY BACK in the posts.

Leading up to the summer before last, I was working for the University of Texas and had been planning my return move to Las Vegas, but at the "last minute" (the end of May), I decided to leave UT and instead get back into teaching and coaching for at least one more year.  It seemed like a good idea at the time, doing the "responsible thing" - I'd be able to put a lot of money in the bank during one year, because teachers and coaches don't have a life during the school year (at least I never did).  Well, after driving all over the great big state of Texas to ELEVEN interviews, and going to both "coaching schools" (clinics that were held in Austin and Fort Worth where coaches can also interview for jobs), I came up empty in my job search.  I have come to the conclusion since that time that it was due to the bad economy, and the teachers/coaches with no experience being hired because they cost less.  Anyway, I was jobless, my lease in Austin was up at the end of July, and because of a friend of mine, I landed a job at the Texas Music Theater here in San Marcos, America.  I was still breathing fire for quite a while, angry, frustrated, and just working my tail off at TMT.  It wasn't too long into this stretch of discontent that one of our bartenders took the time to point out how much she appreciated how hard I worked every single night.  Last night this bartender worked her last shift at another local bar, The Black Rabbit, and she will be leaving San Marcos for the hopefully greener pastures of Austin.  Lissy, I just wanted to say thank you again for your kind words just over sixteen months ago, and to wish you the best of luck in Austin.  For those of you who pay close attention to this blog, YES, it was VERY UNUSUAL for me to be off on a Saturday, but I was able to take advantage of it.  My friends Ryan and Nia were able to join Lissy and myself in a nice conversation for seemingly fifteen minutes before my overwhelming popularity (ha ha) seemed to bring SWARMS OF CUSTOMERS into the back bar area of the Black Rabbit, which actually put Lissy and Nia to work, but it was nice to have the opportunity to say goodbye.

I hope that all of you have a great day today and I'll see you again tomorrow!

1 comment: