Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Tim Tebow & Other Stuff

The content of this blog contains words that I would have never dreamed that I would ever be speaking or typing.  As you probably know by now, I am a pretty avid football follower.  That being said, when Tim Tebow was the starting quarterback for the Gators at the University of Florida, I could not stand the guy.  I have never met him, and haven't really heard anyone say anything bad about him that wasn't football related.  It just seemed that when he was playing for the Gators, the media kept shoving their darling quarterback down our throats.  Tim Tebow this, Tim Tebow that, Tebow, Tebow, Tebow...  Like many other college quarterbacks who like to run the ball, I suspected that he wouldn't be successful in the NFL at that position because the defenders who hit you on Sundays are a lot bigger and stronger and faster than those college kids (with all due respect to the SEC).  He may still prove to be a failure in the NFL at that position, but there is something about Tebow...  He has those qualities that you wish everyone you coach, or play with, or even know in your personal life would have.  Tebow is a leader, he works hard, and he just does not quit.  After the Texans destroyed the Titans on Sunday in Tennessee, CBS switched their coverage to the Broncos/Dolphins game, and Denver was down eight points, and driving with time running out.  The Broncos in reality needed to score the touchdown and the two-point conversion on that drive, because they were very unlikely to see the ball again.  I couldn't help but root for him to tie the game.  After sitting on the bench for the Broncos until the very end of last year, when he got to start and won some games for Denver, he was the victim of bad circumstances during the offseason.  The new coach who was hired did not want him to be the starting quarterback, although anything you read or hear professes that Tebow was the overwhelming choice of the Broncos fanbase, so not only is he sitting on the bench, but hearing about it in the news all the time.  Well, as you probably know by now, Tebow did lead on the Broncos on the game-tying drive, and Denver won the game in overtime.  It seems that he's becoming one of those players that you either love or hate, and I'm just surprised that I actually flipped my opinion of him, because that's rare for me.  I will be very interested to see how this season and his football career play out.

Other stuff...  There is a story on Yahoo about a pair of 12 year-olds that were switched at birth, and both girls want to stay and live with the families that have raised them, and not with their actual parents.  On my facebook page I very regularly make fun of a lot of the Yahoo headlines, but this was a story that I actually clicked on and read.  I cannot even imagine how difficult that situation would be.  The article also says that there are some other documented cases of children being switched at birth in the hospital, and just came online today if you want to read it.

For those of you who are fantasy football players, you'll understand my joy...  72.18 - 50.78 and 72.54 - 58.94 were the scores in my 2 wins this weekend that put my teams at 6-1 and 5-2, respectively, this season.  I had most of my better players sitting in their living rooms with byes this week, but my opponents ran into the same hurdles, and I survived some very ugly games.  I obviously haven't won anything yet, but it sure feels nice to be off to fast starts in both leagues.

The Texas Rangers went up 3-2 tonight in the World Series with a 4-2 victory, and are making me wish already that I would be quicker to post my thoughts here since I do like making predictions so much.  For what it's worth, I was one of those telling my friends that I thought this series would go at least six games, and I've also been saying to anyone who would listen to me that I thought the Oklahoma Sooners were going to get beat this year, although I honestly didn't think that Texas Tech was going to be the team to do that, in Norman.  This season has the opportunity for the 'perfect storm' of controversy to be created in the BCS if these powerhouses keep getting knocked from the ranks of the unbeaten, and Boise State continues along unscathed with its schedule.  More on that later...  ;) 

I do have a list of future topics for the blog planned, but there are a number of those that I don't want to post until there is a bigger following here, so again, if you have any suggestions for topics that you want covered, or questions that you have, feel free to comment.  That includes questions with what you would do with your fantasy football team on a weekly basis (I saw some of these online tonight), but just don't ask for this advice if you are in a league with me...  :)  My next planned entry is for Thursday, but if I have the time, I'll post again tomorrow.  Thank you for following along, and have a great day!


 



       

2 comments:

  1. Hey Chris, nice blog post today. I understand where you are coming from with Tim Tebow and I want and wanted to like him. Unfortunately after I started liking him late in his College Career, he started talking to the media much more about his religious views. That by itself would have been fine but then the religious right decided to make him a spokesman and outside of football he became their mouthpiece. I believe religious views are personal and do not need to be constantly stated publicly and then in his case the venom against certain groups of people just ended my attempt to like him as a player. That is MY rant for today. Keep up the writing! Dan E.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the nickname "Mile High Messiah" online tonight... :P

    ReplyDelete