Thursday, September 12, 2013

Week 3 Football Picks/13-14

Good evening everyone.  As I begin typing my third predictions post of the football season tonight, the Patriots/Jets game has 4:10 left in the first quarter.  This is later than I started last week, but the Bobcats have a bye this weekend (no list of Bobcat celebrity experts' predictions to type), and I already have all of my Texas predictions in, so we should be just fine.  Last weekend my Bobcat experts went 10-1 on Texas State's 28-3 victory over Prairie View A&M, and my Longhorn experts went 0-11 on the 40-21 defeat that Texas suffered at the hands of BYU.  Alyssa and myself both went 1-1 on these games, picking the Bobcats and the Longhorns to win.  No one was able to pick the exact score of either game, so 'Coach's Hall of Fame' remains empty after two weeks.  On Saturday the Longhorns (1-1) will be hosting the Rebels of the University of Mississippi (2-0).  Here are the celebrity experts' selections for Week 3:


Celebrity Experts (Last Weekend 10-12/Overall record of 31-13 on Bobcats & Longhorns games)

Saturday, September 14th - Texas Longhorns (1-1) vs. Mississippi Rebels (2-0)

Texas  30-27     James McDuffie - UT Fan
Texas  21-17     Ben Major - @coach_major
Texas  38-35     Russell - @atxpkrgolf
Texas  41-38     Marian - Writer, RantSports.com/@TexasSportsGirl
Texas  24-20     William Anastassiou - UT Student
Texas  49-35     Travis Cornelius - University of Texas at Dallas/@cornman76
Texas  38-21     Nathan Odom - @odom_nathan
Texas  41-31     J.B. Texas-Ex - @JBTexasEx
Texas  31-27     Lando - @orlandobrrr
Ole Miss  38-27     Sarah Mitchell - University of Mississippi Alum
Ole Miss  45-38     Matthew Bodin - Progressive Liberal Agnostic Atheist/@MattBodin
Ole Miss  27-17     Elz - Full-time Mom, Wife, Attorney, Football, Design & Fashion Fan
Ole Miss  35-21     Joe Chiavone - Johnny Manziel Apolgist/@The_ThirdJAC
Ole Miss  27-17     Chad Spear - Southland Conference All-Decade Baseball Team, Little League All-Star Coach, & Owner of the Dead Crickets (Who Are Currently Tied For First With Myself And Four Others In Our Fantasy Football League)...


This week I have picks from 14 celebrity experts for the game as opposed to 11 because when I solicited predictions on Twitter, 3 of the original people that I asked for picks sent me their selections after the first 11 came in.  You'll notice that coming off of last weekend's Texas loss, the experts are more split in their selections this week, with 9 Longhorn and 5 Rebel picks.  Several people that I asked for predictions this week wanted to give me multiple picks (i.e., "I say this score if Ash starts, but this score if McCoy starts...").  You'll notice that out of 14 total picks (and only 5 Ole Miss takers), we have a pair (Chad and Elz) who predicted the exact same score on the game (it's funny how that works out)...


Coach (Last Weekend 1-1/Overall Record of 3-1 on Bobcats & Longhorns Games)

Last Saturday's Texas/BYU game was very surprising to me.  Maybe the weather delay at the outset threw the Horns off balance - I'm really not sure...  Taysom Hill, the Cougars' quarterback, just seemed to be moving at a different speed than everyone else on the field in that game.  What I know of Ole Miss this season is what I watched in the 4th quarter of their thrilling season opener at Vanderbilt.  I believe that 4 touchdowns were scored in the final 9 minutes of that game, which the Rebels won 39-35 on a very late touchdown.  From the time that I first spotted it, Texas has been bet down from a 4 1/2 to a 2 1/2 point favorite in this game.  I believe that the Horns will bounce back this week, and I'm going with a score of 38-28 Texas.


Coach's Ten Best Bets of the Week (Last Weekend 6-4/Overall Record of 9-11):

Louisville/Kentucky (Under 59 1/2) - Banking on Louisville's defense showing up...
Alabama (-8) @ Texas A&M - The Tide looks to atone for only loss last season...
Texas (-2 1/2) vs. Ole Miss - Yes, I'm that confident that the Horns bounce back...
Miami/Indianapolis (Over 42 1/2) - I see a lot of passing in this game...
St. Louis/Atlanta (Under 47 1/2) - Seems like a high number for these defenses...
Detroit (-1) @ Arizona - Lions beat the Vikings by 10 last week...
Dallas (+3) @ Kansas City - I like this year's Cowboys team...
San Diego/Philadelphia (Over 54 1/2) - Eagles hyper offense, Rivers chucking it...
49ers/Seahawks (Over 44 1/2) - Sensing big plays (including turnovers) in this one...
Steelers (+7) @ Bengals - How often are the Black & Gold spotted a touchdown?...


I've got Alyssa on facebook now, and she CLAIMS that she sent her words to me at 6:00 (which I'm inclined to believe, since she said that the reason for sending early was that she has stuff planned for her birthday - you HAVE TO BELIEVE this)...  While we're waiting (and before I put up a different photo of her), let me say right now that I picked the Texans (against the Titans) in Lucki Duck's contest this week, and that Alyssa did not make me, and that my reason for doing so had nothing to do with the fact that this is her birthday weekend...  :)  Okay, I just received Alyssa's text, and let me state now that we did not tell each other what score we were going to publish here for the UT/Ole Miss game (VERY similar)...  Okay, that's enough stalling - here's the reason that you showed up...  Happy Birthday Alyssa!  Oops..., let me also state that Alyssa was closer than I was on the Bobcats score AGAIN last week, and that she predicted a final score of Houston 35  San Diego 24 on Monday night.  The actual final was the Texans 31-28 over the Chargers - SUCH a showoff...  And yes, I see it - in her VERY FIRST Texans prediction, she called the EXACT NUMBER OF POINTS that was scored in the game...  I just even double-checked the final score of the game online (even though I was POSITIVE it was 31-28).  Freaking unbelievable)...  :D  Okay..., here she is...



Alyssa (Last Weekend 2-1/Overall Record of 4-1 on Texans, Bobcats, & Longhorns Games)

Happy Thursday!  I'm going to start off by saying how happy I am that my Texans pulled through and won against the Chargers Monday night!  My hands were so red from clapping!  This week has gone by so fast and I'm looking forward to my 3 1/2 day weekend.  My boss man gave me time off to go home to Houston for my birthday!  I'm going to the Texans/Titans game on Sunday also!  I hope the Texans pull through with a win!

Texas plays Ole Miss this weekend and I predict an outcome of 35-24 Texas.  The Texans play the Titans on Sunday and I predict an outcome of 28-17 Texans.


Alyssa


Did you also notice that her UT prediction (besides being eerily similar to mine) is also the prediction that she gave for the Texans/Chargers game last week?  Maybe she just uses that prediction ALL THE TIME...  Oh..., Texans 28-17 - I guess not...  :)  Alyssa, I hope that you have a VERY SAFE and INCREDIBLE birthday weekend, and we both hope that all of you enjoy your football weekend!  See y'all again on Monday!




















    

No comments:

Post a Comment