Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Could You? (23)

"And it's been a, long December, and there's reason to believe, maybe this year will be better than, the last...,   I can't remember all the times I tried to tell myself, to hold on to, these moments as they pass..." -Counting Crows- (A Long December)

"Only a fool trips on what is behind him..." -via Benchmark Insurance Group-

"Comin' down, the years turn over, and angels fall without you there, and I'll go on down to lead you home, and, all because I'm, all because I'm, I'll become what, you became to me..."
-Goo Goo Dolls- (Black Balloon)

"Don't settle.  Don't finish crappy books.  If you don't like the menu, leave the restaurant.  If you're not on the right path, get off it..." -via Taylor Ralph- (facebook)

"I don't ever wanna feel..., like I did that day..." -Red Hot Chili Peppers- (Under The Bridge)



Could you focus Coach?  So even as I'm writing this, I just realized that Don Draper (Jon Hamm's character in Mad Men, which is arguably my favorite show) was in 'The Day The Earth Stood Still' (the 2008 version with Keanu Reeves and Jennifer Connelly).  As I was getting those quotes and lyrics typed in up above, I heard this character state, "as scientists, we can't allow that..."  I was like, "WOW, that sounds a lot like..."  :)  Pay attention Coach...

Could you fact-check your jokes Coach?  Not too long ago, when I told the story about the home game with Texas Tech here last fall in San Marcos, America, I had some fun with my friend Tim.  I was unable to make it to any football games last season due to my work schedule, having to stay up until at least 4:00 a.m. when I worked.  For my story, I looked up Tim's (Hawkins) position online, and came up with quarterback and receiver, so I made some crack about him playing the "glamour positions."  Well, I was browsing through my newly purchased Phil Steele's College Football 2013 Preview magazine last night (SHOCKER), and it talks about Tim being a RUNNING BACK last season.  Okay, so now we have quarterback, wide receiver, AND running back...  WHAT position did you NOT PLAY during your career in San Marcos Mr. Hawkins?!  :)

Could you sneak in a little plug for your alma mater Coach, even though the season is so far away, since we're already talking about football?  Okay, so as I continued to browse the Texas State pages of the preview magazine, it seems that the Bobcat special teams ranked 4th..., IN THE NATION last season, and that we have ALL of our special teams players back from last year!  We have switched conferences (we will now be playing in the Sun Belt), but Mr. Steele still has us as the 7th-ranked special teams unit entering the season..., IN... THE... NATION... - NICE...  :)


Could you send your sympathy to the Bruins fans today?  WOW, that Stanley Cup clincher last night was unreal...  Boston took a 2-1 lead over Chicago with 7:49 to go in the game, and a Bruins win would have forced a seventh game in this series tomorrow.  The Blackhawks pulled their goalie for an extra skater with about 1:30 left to play, and managed to tie the game with 1:16 remaining...  Pretty unbelievable, and I was all ready to make my customary tweet and facebook status update about ANOTHER GAME in this Stanley Cup going to overtime (this would have been the 4th in 6 games), when all of a sudden, the Blackhawks score AGAIN with 0:59 left on the clock, and Chicago is carrying the 120 year-old trophy around the rink not too much later...  Congrats to both teams on a very entertaining series, and to the Blackhawks on winning the Cup.  Below is my prediction for the 'Final' (just because I always do this)...  :)

My Prediction/Actual Result

Bruins over the Blackhawks in 6 games/Blackhawks in 6 games

Let me say here that Lightning (his blog link is over to the right) picked Chicago to win the Cup in six games, AND that he is a Blackhawks fan...  Lightning had a blog post up in VERY SHORT ORDER after the game was decided...  :)  Let me also note here that I jinxed the Bruins by picking them to win the Cup (an accusation that before last night's game I told my brother would make the blog if it did indeed play out that way)...


Could you put me to work?  As you know, I've been giving a very concerted effort to losing weight, which has included a lot of dieting, situps, and walking around San Marcos.  Well, I took a very rare daytime walk a few days ago, and I stopped by my old workplace to get a cup of water.  I had been there for about TWO MINUTES when my friend Sam hands me a UPS slip and says, "Hey Coach, can you go pick this up?"  My first thought was, "you KNOW that I don't have a car with me..., I'm WALKING...," but then I realized that a package had been left down the street at Jimmy John's.  The things that you have to do for a free cup of water...  

Could you include more song lyrics in your blog Coach?  Yes, I think that I will...  I have a pretty sizeable CD collection that started growing when I got my first vehicle that had a CD player in it, and all of those discs have at least one song on them that connected with me for some reason.  Okay, yes..., I do realize that I just made a pretty obvious statement, because why would anyone buy a CD if they didn't like at least one song that's on it - SHUT UP...  :)  Anyway, I thought that I would share some of the lyrics from these songs that struck a chord with me (pun intended - ba dump, CHING!), so be expecting more of these and fewer quotes to lead off my upcoming posts...  

Could you remind us about what's happening with the blog?  Okay, first we're going to stay with the Spurs color scheme through the rest of this week.  When Bikini Hill returns to its new "neon look," I will also resume posting entries four days each week (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday), and this should be the norm for quite some time.  Due to moving, or in the event that something unexpected arises, I might miss a post or two, or change a posting day for that week, but M/Tu/Th/F seems to work the best for me.  Mondays will address various topics, Tuesdays will be under the 'Could You?' format (can you BELIEVE that this is the 23rd week of this ALREADY?!  That's almost half a year for you lay people)...  ;)  Thursdays will continue to follow the 'I Remember The First Time' format, and Fridays will be sports-related, with football predictions dominating that day of the week in a few short months - YES!!!  I still plan on predicting a final score for every Bobcat and Longhorn football game in the fall (a new idea, whose implementation should be very interesting...), while giving you my ten 'best bets' for games taking place that weekend.

Could you talk about the in and outs of the blog just a little more Coach, because we're not completely bored yet, and we need something to put us to sleep???  SURE...  :)  This does look like it will be the 6th straight month that the blog will have at least 3,000 views, and the 40,000 total view milestone should be reached by the end of June.  This does make things interesting for my prediction for the blog reaching the 75,000 mark in total views by the end of the year, since there will still be 35,000 views to go (an average of almost 6,000 views per month needed, when the blog has yet to reach 4,000 total views in one month).  The wildcard here is that the blog has always received more views during football season, when I make my weekly predictions.  You know, the 'Coach picked X, so I'll bet Y' strategy surely being utilized...  ;)  

Okay, well the bell just rang, and you're free to leave for the day.  Have a good one, and I'll see you again tomorrow!
       




      



         








4 comments:

  1. Only the second Chicago team to repeat as champs since the 1960's. Certainly a reason for Chicago fans to be excited. Not to mention that the baseball season is effectively over already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unbelievable series. Your baseball statement makes me sad because it's the ONLY THING we have until football... :`(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer this look to the "neon" look.
    FYI

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I needed somebody to complicate matters, so thanks for that... :) If I eased the silver out, it would look a lot like a Steelers/Penguins/Pirates theme, which I'm assuming is the reason that you prefer it. I think that if we witness the Steelers win another Super Bowl, I'll have to change the colors in their honor for AT LEAST a month... ;)

    ReplyDelete