Monday, January 14, 2013

San Marcos Drivers, Beware...

"When friends hear something negative about you, they get your side of the story before passing judgment..." -Chris Wyatt-


Good morning everyone.  Today's ramble will be completely about things that are related to San Marcos, America in one way or another as the first day of spring classes begins at Texas State University.  For those of you who live in and around San Marcos, be prepared for some hassles if you plan on driving near campus.  During the winter break, construction started on the street that separates 'Bikini Hill' from campus, and it also began on Sessom Drive, which runs behind campus.  On both streets there are spots where the traffic gets funneled from two lanes into a single lane, and this construction is not finished.  I'm afraid that this is going cause some major headaches for commuters...

Speaking of construction, if you haven't been to the top of North L.B.J. Drive recently (behind campus), well, the "top" is being moved higher, if you will...  The process of clearing land has been ongoing for some time now, and the frames of buildings (you guessed it, apartments) are now going up.  It's pretty impressive to drive up a street the length of North L.B.J. Drive and to see one side almost completely bordered by apartment complexes...

As an example of how much money I don't have, I went into the local Hastings bookstore a few days ago.  Now let me start out by saying that I love Hastings, that they're open from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. every day of the week, etc, etc...  I saw a rack of bookmarks that were selling for $3.99 each.  My immediate thought was that if you can't find something to put in between the pages a book that won't run you less than $3.99...  Goodness gracious...

The rest of today's little tidbits will be related to work in one way or another.  I'm currently working for a trio of bars on the Square in downtown San Marcos, America:  Harper's, Slackers, and The Veranda.  Let's begin with some of the comments that I've heard at work over the course of the past few weeks...

This weekend when I was monitoring one of the hallways at work, a couple of groups of people walked by each other.  After a little bit of friendly banter, one of the girls in one of the passing groups posed the question, "do we know them?..."  I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that YOU don't know them...

The hallways that I am speaking of are painted maroon and gold, which are the colors of my alma mater, the aforementioned Texas State University.  I have one Nike shirt that I wear to work from time to time which is white, with a maroon 'swoosh' on the chest, and a single set of maroon and gold stripes on each sleeve.  More than once someone has referenced my shirt and I've fielded the question, "which school is that?..."  God bless San Marcos, America...

At The Veranda, which is our rooftop bar, we have a pair of propane heaters which feature flames that are encased in glass tubing.  The other night a customer came downstairs and said to me, "whatever you do, don't touch the flames up there..."  I deadpanned, "yeah, it's REAL FIRE..."  Again, God bless San Marcos, America...

Okay, now this story is on me.  With the masses of people that I encounter at work, unless I've known someone for quite a while, I am usually better at recognizing a face than remembering a name.  Last week when I was working at the front door, a girl handed me her driver's license.  I looked at the girl again, then looked at her photo on the license.  Then I noticed her name - YEAH..., this particular customer was one of my former students, and I had coached her in softball..., FOR... A... YEAR...  Ummm, God bless San Marcos, America...  ;)

Have a great day and I'll see you again tomorrow!


    













No comments:

Post a Comment