Thursday, August 29, 2013

I Remember The First Time (32)

"I have too much to type tonight to give you a quote right here..." -Chris Wyatt-



I remember the first time that it was football season again - WOO HOO!!!  :D  Good evening everyone.  There is a lot going on tonight at the intersection of Bikini Hill, 6th, & the Strip...  After I type this quick little entry for you, I'm going to start constructing my first football predictions entry of the 2013-2014 season!!!  There is a real life college football game on ESPN right now (North Carolina at South Carolina), and Mississippi at Vanderbilt will follow this game with ANOTHER real life game tonight at 8:15 p.m. CST.  All 32 teams in the NFL are also playing their final preseason games tonight as rosters have to be cut down to 53 players ahead of next week's season openers...  I'm a pretty happy camper tonight...

I remember the first time that I wasn't a happy camper...  Do any of you remember what tonight is the one year anniversary of?  One year ago tonight (the Thursday leading into Labor Day Weekend) I was out playing poker until 1:00 a.m., and when I returned to my apartment, I discovered that someone had kicked in the door 3 times.  Luckily for me, all that was taken was my Droid charger and three pairs of windpants.  While I was talking to the Las Vegas police for an hour and a half, I decided that I was going to pack up my vehicle and make the more than twenty-hour return trip to San Marcos, America.  A lot has happened in the past year, and I'm looking forward to this next year with renewed enthusiasm...

I remember the first time that Cain and Abel's was unable to stay open...  Oh, my friends at Cain and Abel's...  I went for a walk at about midnight on Tuesday, and when I reached Cain and Abel's, I saw one of the waitresses cleaning up the outside area of the very popular West Campus establishment.  When I asked her why they weren't open, she said that the fire marshall forced them to close their doors a half-hour before I arrived because they had exceeded capacity...  This was on the night before UT began classes for the fall semester, and they lost two and a half hours worth of business...  :(

I remember the first time that my thoughts drifted back to an NFL playoff game that took place more than thirty years ago...  On this same West Campus walk on Tuesday night, I saw SEVERAL PEOPLE celebrating their return to Austin.  Among those celebrating was a girl who had partaken in too much of the festivities, and she was being helped down the sidewalk by a couple of her friends.  As she was helped along, with her arms draped around the shoulders of her friends, I recalled Kellen Winslow of the San Diego Chargers being helped off of the field by a couple of teammates after a thrilling 1981 Divisional Playoff Game overtime victory against the Miami Dolphins.  The game (actually played on January 2nd, 1982) was the highest-scoring playoff game in NFL history at that time.  Wow, LOOK AT ME working a little bit of football history into the blog on the first night of real games this season...  ;)

I remember the first time that I made any reference to the fact that I'm 100 years old (though I'm really not)...  Sooooo, yesterday I'm eating lunch at the Texas Union, a very packed Union due to the fact that classes on campus resumed yesterday...  My friends had already left the table where we ate our lunch when I saw a group of three young ladies wandering around aimlessly in search of an open table.  From the far back corner location of our table, I waved the ladies over.  They DEFINITELY saw me waving them open, so they proceeded to walk across the middle of the dining area, before promptly turning left, and walking RIGHT OUT OF THE DINING AREA, with one of the girls in the group even looking back at me...  :D  Oh..., you DON'T KNOW how funny I thought this was!!!  Here I was trying to be nice, to give these ladies a place to sit down and eat, and they must have thought that they were being invited to eat with a 100 year-old man.  SO unappreciated...  :(

Okay boys and girls, it's time for me to publish this and to dive straight into my football entry.  If you check back here in about 3-4 hours, there is a VERY GOOD CHANCE that you will see this entry up tonight.  Remember that I will have a co-pilot named Alyssa with me this time around to help guide all of us through what promises to be a very exciting 2013-2014 football season.  Enjoy the next couple of hours and we'll see you shortly!



  

      

No comments:

Post a Comment